These soft star cookies provide all the pleasures of traditional carrot cake in a fun-to-eat way. I especially love the fresh tangy butter cream frosting. This recipe is healthy, naturally gluten free, vegan, dairy free, grain free and low-sugar!
We all know that cookie dough is better eaten raw than when actually baked as a cookie. Unfortunately many cookie dough recipes are sooooo unhealthy and are filled with foods we really should not eat.
But fret not, there is a healthy way to enjoy your cookie dough. Today I am sharing a clean recipe (clean-ish!!) that is good for you. It’s filled with soaked cashews and coconut butter! AND, of course the icing on the cookie is pure and delicous! The cookie dough is listed separately in case you want to eat it raw!
Carrot Cake Star Cookie Recipe
Paleo Gluten Free Cookie Dough
- 1/4 cup coconut butter
- 1/2 cup cashews (soaked, rinsed)
- 1 banana OR honey
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 3-4 tablespoons water (only use the water if needed)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean powder (or 2 tsp vanilla extract)
- 1 cup grated carrots (about 2 medium carrots)
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger or ginger essential oil
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon or cinnamon essential oil
1/4 cup raisins
- Soak cashews for about 30 minutes.
- Rinse cashews. Place all ingredients, except chocolate chips, into blender.
- Puree until smooth. The batter is thick, add more water as needed.
- Add banana or honey.
- Add additional ingredients.
- Bake at 325 degress for 25mins
Healthy Vanilla Buttercream Icing
- 3 Tablespoons grass-fed butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons almond milk
- 2 cups powdered coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (as needed)
- 4-5 Tablespoons potato starch
- 2-4 drops lemon essential oil
Direction for Icing
Add softened butter in medium bowl.
- Beat butter with mixer until creamy (30-45 seconds), add vanilla extract, almond milk, salt (as needed), continue beating with mixer, slowly add powdered coconut sugar 1/2 cup at a time incorporating into butter mixture. Beat for another 2-3 minutes.
- Frosting will still be a little runny, begin adding potato starch 2 Tablespoons as a time, combine into frosting, add remaining potato starch.
- If frosting is still a little runny then what you would desire add additional Tablespoon. Frosting will continue to thicken over a course of an hour.